Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Holy Spit

by Fajita

So I'm walking just outside my village the other day, just minding my own business, and I see a small group of people gathered around a couple guys. Just the fact that there were even a few people outside the village was a bit odd, but they were all looking intently at the two guys in the middle.

I recognized the one guy first. He's the blind guy. Every now and again I'd give him a coin. I figure he needs it. He's blind. I do my very best to respect people who have some challenges. I figured that this other guy was going to do something nice for the blind guy.

I moved closer in to see what was happening, and, I am not making this up, the other guy spit right in the blind guy's face. Then he starts mashing the spit around with his fingers. I was pretty ticked off. I got in closer because I wanted to give this jerk a piece of my mind. I got close enough to hear what he said. I couldn't believe it. First he spits int he blind guy's face, then he smashed the spit into his face, then he has the nerve to ask him if he sees anything. I'm not sure if you can get any more insulting than that.

What happened next knocked me out of my sandals.

The blind guy answered spitman, "I see people, but they look like trees walking aound."

Thr crowd laughed because, well that's a very funny thing to say. I did not laugh. This guy who was 100% blind was seeing something.

Then this spit guy smashes the spit even further into the blind guy's eyes.

"How about now? What do you see now?"

"I can see everything. My eyes are clear!"

Some people yelled out shouts of joy. Some people fell to the ground. Others hugged. The blind guy just looked and looked at things. That little crowd was so happy.

Then the spit man tells them all not to tell anyone. Well, that was the last thing I thought he was going to say. I figured this guy could make a fortune with this kind of spit. Not only was he not interested in money, he was not interested in being famous. All I know is that if I had holy spit, I would be milking it for all I was worth.

I wanted to talk to this guy, but he left so quickly. I have a couple of questions for him. I'm going to keep looking for him. I'm sure I'll find him, if I just keep looking.

4 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

boy can you tell a good story......

3/30/2005 07:20:00 AM  
Blogger David U said...

ahhh.........the Gospel of the second touch. Haven't we all felt that second touch also? And Fourth, Sixth, and Twelveth?

Thanks Chris!

3/30/2005 08:09:00 AM  
Blogger Keith Brenton said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/30/2005 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger Keith Brenton said...

This resonates with me especially right now ... maybe because I just came back from the dentist's.

Since the first time I can remember encountering this story, I've wondered "Why spit? Why didn't Jesus just say the word?"

And "How does a blind man perceive trees walking around?"

And "What did the blind man do for a living after he could see?"

3/30/2005 09:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home